If you’re a vinyasa yoga practitioner you’re probably familiar with the term “building heat.” That might not sound so appealing to you right now, though–especially if you live somewhere that summer is hot and sticky enough without any additional heat, thank you very much.
This week on the podcast, our favorite Ayurvedic expert, Niika Quistgard, offers Ayurvedic summer self care tips. Niika has a gift for making the principles of Ayurveda easy to understand — once you learn them, you’ll know how to cool down and come back into balance.
- How to adapt your lifestyle during pitta season–we get into how to approach your yoga practice, meditation, breathing techniques, and which foods to eat (and avoid) during pitta season
- A few specific poses and practices that are calming for pitta
- The one thing that’s even more important than you dominant dosha. (It’s all about balance, baby!)
- What Niika means when she talks about taking “self-leadership” on your yoga mat and in your life
- BONUS: Enjoy the soothing sounds of nature throughout this interview as Niika is talking to us outdoors among some particularly melodious birds.
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
- I love cooking but even I get tired of the grind day after day. One thing that’s helped me immensely is Sunbasket meal delivery service — they offer organic produce and clean ingredients and many different types of meal plans. Their food is so delicious and I LOVE how creative they are! Go to sunbasket.com/yogaland to get $35 off your first order.
- LOLA is a female-founded company offering 100organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For every purchase, LOLA donates feminine care products to homeless shelters across the U.S. For 40% off all subscriptions, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND when you subscribe.
- Truth: I am not a perfume gal. They’re usually too cloying for me and I don’t trust that the ingredients are safe. But I’m in love with the scents created by Skylar Body. They’re vegan and never tested on animals. And they’re free of parabens, phthalates, and other potentially harmful chemicals and they smell so amazing. To see which scent you like best, you can try the Skylar sample palette with free shipping plus earn a $20 credit towards your next full-sized perfume purchase, visit Skylar.com/yogaland.