A lot of people come to yoga to help them balance some of the activities they do on a daily basis. After all, yoga is a great antidote to sitting in a chair, looking at a computer or iPhone screen, and other things sedentary people do.
But you might not realize that if you’re an avid yogi who practices daily, it can be helpful to add other types of movement into your routine to counterbalance the effects of the yoga asanas.
That’s what today’s guest, longtime vinyasa yoga teacher and CrossFit trainer Debbie Steingesser, came to realize after she suffered a hip injury that required physical therapy and strength training to heal.
This week, I talk to Debbie about how strength training has changed her practice–and her life!
We talk about:
- How a hip injury led Debbie to physical therapy and eventually CrossFit and how that experience changed her view on what yoga could do for her
- What is CrossFit is and how can it be a complementary practice for yoga students
- How the benefits of cross training go beyond the physical
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
- I love cooking but even I get tired of the grind day after day. One thing that’s helped me immensely is Sunbasket meal delivery service — they offer organic produce and clean ingredients and many different types of meal plans. Their food is so delicious and I LOVE how creative they are! Go to sunbasket.com/yogaland to get $35 off your first order.
- LOLA is a female-founded company offering 100organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For every purchase, LOLA donates feminine care products to homeless shelters across the U.S. For 40% off all subscriptions, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND when you subscribe.
- Truth: I am not a perfume gal. They’re usually too cloying for me and I don’t trust that the ingredients are safe. But I’m in love with the scents created by Skylar Body. They’re vegan and never tested on animals. And they’re free of parabens, phthalates, and other potentially harmful chemicals and they smell so amazing. To see which scent you like best, you can try the Skylar sample palette with free shipping plus earn a $20 credit towards your next full-sized perfume purchase, visit Skylar.com/yogaland.