In this second episode of our Begin Again series, we talk about what keeps us motivated to practice when yoga is feeling stagnant and Jason offers useful tips for teachers who are faced with the difficult (but rewarding!) task of teaching yoga to beginners.
He also talks about how to introduce philosophy to beginning students and how to motivate students to keep coming back to their mats.
Here’s an overview of the episode:
- Why beginning again can be a great thing even for experienced yoga practitioners
- Some common mistakes yoga teachers make when they teach beginners
- How to approach teaching philosophy to beginners in a way that doesn’t confuse or overwhelm
- How he navigates sharing the philosophical dimensions of yoga so that they are useful to everyone regardless of their cultural and ideological belief systems
- Tips for being a good host to new students and why he thinks that’s a key component to keeping students motivated
- BONUS: Jason explains some of the yamas and niyamas and puts them into a modern context
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
Episode 135: Jason’s Tips for Teaching Beginners (And Beginning Again)
How to Leave a (Positive!) Podcast Review (Hint, Hint!)
Coming Soon! The Art of Teaching Beginners Course with Jason
Episode 117: Jason’s Favorite Non-Asana Yoga Books
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
- LOLA is a female-founded company offering 100 organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For every purchase, LOLA donates feminine care products to homeless shelters across the U.S. For 40% off all subscriptions, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.
- Care/of is a monthly subscription vitamin service made from high, quality ingredients personally tailored to your exact needs. Their short quiz asks you about your diet, health goals, and lifestyle choices and uses these answers to create personalized vitamin packs just for you. For 50% off your first month of personalized care/of vitamins, visit takecareof.com and enter promo code YOGALAND50.