This week, I talk to Bay Area yoga teacher Quamay Sams. Quamay grew up in New York, where he was a dancer before he enrolled in a yoga teacher training program (without ever having set foot in a yoga studio). He now considers teaching yoga a calling — and a big responsibility.
We talk about:
- Why Quamay felt like a misfit (his word) growing up and how that impacted the course of his life.
- Dance. He tells us more about a style of dancing called krumping, why he loves it, and how it became an outlet for him.
- Stepping into the seat of the teacher and how he is coping with and embracing being a role model.
- Yoga and representation. His take on why there aren’t more black people in yoga studios, who’s responsible for that, and how we can all work together to bridge that gap.
- His experience as one of Jason’s advanced teacher training students.
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
Jason’s Advanced Studies yoga teacher trainings
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
- LOLA is a female-founded company offering 100 organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For every purchase, LOLA donates feminine care products to homeless shelters across the U.S. For 40% off all subscriptions, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.
- Care/of is a monthly subscription vitamin service made from high, quality ingredients personally tailored to your exact needs. Their short quiz asks you about your diet, health goals, and lifestyle choices and uses these answers to create personalized vitamin packs just for you. For 25% off your first month of personalized care/of vitamins, visit takecareof.com and enter promo code YOGALAND.
- Away is a new kind of luggage that is designed to be resilient, resourceful, and essential to the way you travel today. They use high-quality materials at a lower price point than other brands because they sell directly on the Internet. Try it out for 100 days, and if you don’t love it return it for a full refund. For $20 off a suitcase, visit awaytravel.com/yogaland and use promo code YOGALAND at checkout.
- Ohmme is a company that makes yoga and activewear clothing for men. The fit and function is phenomenal. Plus, their design and manufacturing process is sustainable since they use many recycled materials. For 20% off your Ohmme order, visit ohmme.com and use promo code YOGALAND20.
- Storyworth makes it easy and fun for loved ones to tell their stories. Simply purchase a subscription for someone you love–like your father for Father’s Day!–and each week Storyworth will send them a question about their life. After a year, stories are bound in a beautiful book. For $20 off, visit storyworth.com/yogaland when you subscribe.