When your body hurts, it can feel like your soul hurts. And when you sustain an injury from yoga, it can be even more rattling. When an injury threatened Laura Burkhart’s yoga practice—and her livelihood—she was forced to dig deep, be creative, and step into a new role as a yoga teacher, too. In this episode, she explains how she survived with humility and humor. (PS: Don’t forget to read Laura’s most recent Yoga Journal blog post: 5 Steps to Recover From Injury )
We talk about:
- Laura’s experience sustaining a hip injury during her yoga practice, how it was diagnosed (when she didn’t have health insurance), and the path she took to begin to heal
- Why she felt it was important to speak out and share the story of her injury with the yoga community
- How she got past the initial frustration and fear around the injury and managed to reframe it, accept it, and finally see the humor in it
- The biggest insight she learned from the ordeal: Don’t get your identity from your physical abilities or your career, but in something deeper and more meaningful
- The advice she has for yoga teachers or practitioners who hope to work smarter instead of harder
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
5 Steps to Recover From Injury, On & Off the Mat by Laura Burkhart
WRITE A REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
- Careof is a monthly vitamin subscription service that’s tailored to your exact needs. Their recommendations are based on clinical research with input from doctors and nutritionists. Vegan and veg supplement options are available! For 25% off your first month of personalized vitamins, visit takecareof.com and enter YOGALAND.
- I love cooking but even I get tired of the grind day after day. One thing that’s helped me immensely is Sunbasket meal delivery service — they offer organic produce and clean ingredients and many different types of meal plans. Their food is so delicious and I LOVE how creative they are! Go to sunbasket.com/yogaland to get $35 off your first order.
- Molekule is a new air purification experience — unobtrusive, portable, and 100% effective. Molekule’s PECO technology goes beyond HEPA filtration to not just capture, but completely destroy the full spectrum of indoor air pollutants, including those 1000x smaller than a HEPA filter can trap. For $75 off your first order, visit MOLEKULE.com and enter code YOGALAND at checkout.
- To my women listeners out there – have you tried Lola yet? LOLA is a female-founded company offering organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For 40% off your first order, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.