For this year’s summer series, Jason and I are focusing on “Building a Sustainable Yoga Practice.” Over the past year we’ve talked about injuries, fear of injuries, predatory teachers and we thought — LET’S FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE FOR PETE’S SAKE. Let’s empower ourselves to create a yoga practice that serves our needs.
For the first episode, Jason and I talk about which poses are taught as beginner or “easy” poses and are actually torturous for us to execute. And the inverse of that — which poses are thought to be advanced, but have always been pretty accessible to us because of body type. My hope is that this talk will help unravel that sense of competition (either with others or just with ourselves) that we all feel from time to time on the yoga mat. The truth is that certain poses that are easier and more difficult simply because of the body you’re born with.
That means that those awe-inspiring poses you see on Instagram may not be a reflection of skills and years of study, but rather just something that that person is able to do naturally. Of course, that means the flip side is true too: You’re not a bad yogi if you can’t balance in Tree Pose to save your life.
If you’ve ever struggled with any pose (or with feeling bad about yourself because of that struggle), you don’t want to miss this one!
- Poses we discuss:
- Vrksasana (Tree Pose)
- Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
- Hanumanasana (Monkey Pose)
- Seated Forward Bends
- Pincha Mayurasana (Forearm Balance)
- Bakasana (Crane Pose)
Subscribe via: iTunes | Acast | RSS
Scroll through the most recent yoga podcast episodes and makes sure you haven’t missed anything.
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
Episode 91 – Jason’s Thoughts on Warrior I, Navasana, and “Advanced” Yoga
Episode 99: Q&A – Jason’s Tips for Nailing Forearm Balance
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
- I love cooking but even I get tired of the grind day after day. One thing that’s helped me immensely is Sunbasket meal delivery service — they offer organic produce and clean ingredients and many different types of meal plans. Their food is so delicious and I LOVE how creative they are! Go to sunbasket.com/yogaland to get $35 off your first order.
- Storyworth makes it easy and fun for loved ones to tell their stories. Simply purchase a subscription for someone you love and each week Storyworth will send them a question about their life. After a year, stories are bound in a beautiful book. For $20 off, visit storyworth.com/yogaland when you subscribe.
- Care/Of is a new online vitamin company that is devoted to personalization and authenticity in its sourcing. Set your health goals, take their quiz, and they’ll give you vitamin, mineral, and adaptogen recommendations. They also include sourcing information and studies to give you background on your choices. I’ve had fun trying them out! Visit takecareof.com and use offer code YOGALAND at checkout for 25% off your first month of vitamins.